Monday 13 April 2020

Year 2004 : Turning vegan in the year of the Tsunami .. !


I had 2 choices in the January of 2004...!

One : Stay back in Pune and take up a job with Tata Technologies, which was a result of my Dad's influence being associated with the Tata Group.
Two : Ride high on the fact that I had cleared an Open House, to get employed with one of the top 5 IT companies in India -  all on my own merit ! My Father of course, made that choice a lot easier for me, by allowing me to get out of my Home Town and experience life on my own terms .. !

So here I was in Hyderabad, staying as a PG in the Cosmopolitan area of Begum Peth in Secunderabad with make-up loving & extremely pure-hearted girls of Mumbai ! :) I was now going to earn almost double the amount compared to what I started out with, in Pune.

However, funding expenses as a result of staying away from home, made me feel the salary was still quite meagre. This time, I ensured that my purchases were reflective of my earnings, in line with my monthly budget, and yet very tasteful. I bought a modest pure silk saree for my Mum from Nalli Silks.  I even remember returning my Dad's cheque of INR 5000 which he had handed over to me as contingency funds - I did make him so proud for a change ;) …!

It was also the very 1st time I owned a cell phone and shopped for 'only' branded clothes. One day when I stepped out shopping with a bunch of friends and picked up this Pendant and Earrings set made of white sparkly stones, Santosh instantly commented "You can't fake these for Diamonds !!". Now, ME, being the rebel I am/was, went ahead and bought it! But that statement had a profound impact on me and would shape my purchase of jewellery going forward ! N oh.. It's also worth mentioning that on our very 1st official outbound event with fellow Entry Level Trainees, both Santosh and Myself were voted to be the best dressed - so surely, the comment had been made from the Male best dressed to another female who was perceived to be best dressed and ought to have been taken seriously !

So what does that have to do with Finances you wonder ? Well it's this...  

When you cannot afford what you love or aspire to own, you must settle for an affordable classic - and I settled for the 'Timeless Pearl Studs' !


(somewhere in the September of 2013, anchoring the Vodafone India IT Townhall, I had a chance to sport this astoundingly beautiful set of pearls gifted by Abhi in 2011 when I returned to work from a sabbatical of 3 years & the ring of course is what I robbed from my Mother ! ;)  ) 

No comments:

Post a Comment