Monday 25 February 2008

I've picked up New Vocabulary! :)

It’s been just less than two months in my Current Role and I have picked up some New Vocabulary. I also made numerous observations in my 1st ever Vendor Evaluation exercise that I had an opportunity to be a part of. Thanks also to the meetings and interactions with colleagues, vendors, clients and numerous other sources which have compelled me to have enough motivation to go ahead and ingrain the new found list of phrases in my blog here! :)

So here you go (the next time you find me using these phrases/words you know where it came from :) ;))

1: Are we there - In terms of getting everyone on the same page?
2: We’ve hit the ground running.
3: I understand where you are coming from.
4: You can’t afford to rock the boat anywhere!
5: Let’s position ourselves correctly.
6: We don’t wish to Poke Holes at anyone :)
7: We can’t boil the ocean in one Talk!
8: Its BAU (meaning Business As Usual).
9: I am just doing a Reality Check!
10: Let’s Sanitize the Process.
11: Does that sound like a plan?
12: Let’s leverage what’s done by our Brothers and Sisters and put a Positive Spirit on it! :)
13: Let us elevate this discussion.
14: Is the game plan still on? (regarding this task / meeting)
15: Can I exercise a timeout – I do not mean to override you.
16: For the lack of better words – …
17: Let’s take a Buy In from the authority.
18: I am unable to articulate that thought.
19: Are we ready to pull the rug on the floor?
20: This is a big kicker okay..
21: We are here to manage the Client’s expectations.
22: They probably got stuck in Limbo Land.
23: Let us talk in Business Parlance.
24: We ought to do more than just an academic exercise here.
25: We will be able to give you a better handle on this.
26: This is yours – Now Run the Show!!
27: With 'abc' the rubber meets the road!
28: Call it whatever you want.
29: I’ll bet my wallet on this.
30: Long Story Short -
31: Every so often!
32: He had an ability to diverge from the proposed agenda and still have everyone on the same page.
33: They are probably looking at instant gratification.
34: It helps to draw parallels between what you have done and what is unique to this engagement.
35: Is there a Strategic Advantage to this?
36: They are making an assurance to take the Client from where they are to where they want to be!
37: We would be looking at North Bound Interfaces which are generic and South Bound which would be more specific.
38: Is this part of the scope / agenda?
39: HA: High Availability & DR: Dry Run Environment

Points 32 to 39 are observations I made and have recorded here as learning’s from the RFP Response presentation that I was a part of. I was the Junior most official in the room of esteemed others like - The Practice Head, the Relationship Manager, a Principal Consultant, a Domain Expert, a Subject Matter Expert, an experienced Resource with both Technical and Functional knowledge from the Vendor Panel and AVP IT, Manager IT, Distinguished Team Members from the Client Side and a Business Transformations Panel, a PM, a set of IT Architects from my company.

My role was to evaluate the solution within the Framework of a SOA based Application Integration approach. Ideally I would’ve loved to dedicate a separate article on it but do not wish to run the risk of violating the Information Security / Business Conduct Guidelines that I always have complied with irrespective of which organization I belonged to. :)

Hope you have a nice time using some of the above phrases and having your own interpretations of them! :)
~ sayli :)

1 comment: