Sunday 10 February 2008

An IT Architect - Who IS He ??

Okay! So I am an IBM Certified SOA Associate. So ?? What next ??

I have been extremely fortunate to have got an opportunity to apply the techniques for modeling a SOA. Or rather, it was the learnings that I continued to get from my engagements in Vodafone that lead me to get myself certified on SOA.

There is still however, a feeling of unease. It roots from the fact that I am being exposed to a team of IT Architects. A team who has expertise that goes beyond just a product, a framework or a technology alone, and probably I want to see myself replicating those varied capabilities. But, I could get there, only if I made a start. So let me make a start today, by identifying and analyzing if I could elivate my actions, thoughts and knowledge, by archiving and understanding what I found (and reproduce here for your reference,) about the Role, Scope and KRA of an IT Architect.

This surely is a piece of interest to a few, but to those who are interested, chances are that you may also take a step towards being one. So read on ...

An IT Architect defines solutions to client business problems through the reasoned application of information technology. Those solutions are documented as architectures and can include systems, applications, and process components. They may also involve the application and integration of a broad variety of products; technologies, and services; various systems and applications architectures; and diverse hardware and software components.

The role of the Chief/Lead IT Architect is:
• To initiate, business justify, and lead projects for the development of new and sufficiently complex components within the enterprise architecture in the areas of information, applications, and technology, in order to meet business objectives
• To establish an architectural framework that is the foundation for other systems across the organization and is essential for the proper execution and delivery of critical and strategic business systems
• To implement organizational-wide initiatives aimed at supporting the enablement of the IT Architect community through the development of tooling, education, or career enhancement

The Chief/Lead IT Architect is:
• An expert in the understanding of architectural principles and their implications to system design, securability, system extensibility and interoperability, costs, and operational considerations
• A student of the profession that is constantly learning and applying new techniques and technologies and seeks to design new innovative architectural solutions
What distinguishes IT Architects at different levels are leadership, and scope, depth, and breadth of impact. Well "Leadership" is a pretty relative term, but I did find its specific relevance to the IT Architecture Parlance. More in the next post :)

Have a gr8 evening !
~ sayli :)

No comments:

Post a Comment